If you are looking to spend less time at the pump, read on for some easy things you can start doing today. Regardless of the price of a gallon of gas, it is always great to be able to save. Often, the small things we do can add up to big savings. Learn how to save!
WAYS TO SAVE ON GAS
· Skip the car completely.
· Lighten your load - extra weight decreases gas mileage.
· Avoid long idles - idling for only one minute consumes the same amount of gas that is required for starting your engine.
· Plan your trip ahead of time - consolidate your trip to places that are close to one another.
· Open the windows - Instead of blasting the air conditioning on a hot day, open the windows or use your car vents, which circulate outside air.
• Get your oil changed - stay up-to-date on oil changes; they should be done every 3,000 miles.
• Drive slower - you can improve your gas mileage by approximately 20 percent by driving 55 mph instead of 65 mph.
• Keep up on tire maintenance - keep your tires properly inflated and aligned and get regular maintenance checks.
• Accelerate slowly from a dead stop.
• Use the right octane level.
Considering buying a new or used vehicle? Before making a purchase, check the gas mileage ratings of similar vehicles of interest to you. Then, narrow down your options on a model that is fuel-efficient in the size category that meets your needs. For quick reference, visit www.fueleconomy.gov for gas mileage comparisons of similar models.